Thursday, September 2, 2010

Let the fun begin!

Today was day 3 of our homeshooling journey.  So far...so good.  As some of you know this is our second year homeschooling (although my son went to school for 3 days last year and HATED it).  He still doesn't LOVE homeschooling, but it's the lesser of two evils for him.

I'm hoping this blog will keep me honest about the daily struggles and joys I have with homeschooling and the fears I have.

For lack of something more creative, I'll tell you what we did (or didn't do) each day.

Today we started at 10:40 (later than my goal of 10:00, but who's checking?)  We start each morning with 'Right Start' math.  A VERY cool math program.  It's pretty basic for DS right now, but I'm not going to go out of order hoping it will build his confidence for when the harder stuff comes!  Today's math session was learning about the numbers 1-6 and how to show the numbers with our hands, with objects and with tally stick.  Then we made triangles and quadrilaterals with those sticks.  For Reading, I did 'Letter Shout Out! (something I made up)  I shout out a letter and they have to write on their white board the upper and lower case for that letter. (The least amount of worksheets I can get away with, the better for my son!)  Then we picked a book to read aloud (Thank you Scooby Doo!)  He did some handwriting practice with his last name from a great site www.handwritingworksheets.com You can make hollow letters, traced letters, even cursive!  It's the best handwriting worksheet site I've found.  Check them out!  We  then did a beginning sounds worksheet and worked on our "All About Me" folder (Social Studies) where he listed his favorite things.  I don't want to brag, but the word MOM appears on the page!  For Art we'll bring out the paints and make sunflowers in homage to the HUGE sunflowers we've got outside!



Our inspiration...


Our project...the outline is of DD's body because the flowers were bigger than they were!!

Until tomorrow, keep cool!!

No comments:

Post a Comment